1. ADVENT. I wish I could yell from the hills of my love of Advent, but I’ll spare everyone involved. Hope and peace, we have celebrated and joy and love are just around the corner. I can’t wait to light the candles tonight when my small group gathers around my dining room table for a meal and conversation about the Apostles’ Creed.
2. Moses. I think I have subjected everyone to pictures of our new puppy here at our house. But in case you haven’t seen it, here’s one of him in all his cuteness. Friends found him only a few weeks ago, hiding under a car with the water rushing by him, hence the name. We adore him over here.
3. The cold. OK, I love it. It’s true. I just love it in little spurts. I’m not sure I have enough sweaters for this sustained cold.
4. Calvary during Advent. Can I claim “advent” and “Calvary during Advent” as two different things? I just did. Calvary swells with excitement and hope during Advent. Each year (this being year three I’ve been around for Advent) people get to church early to sing Christmas Carols (we sing them 10 minutes before the service as a compromise for not having them in worship), wear their purple and worship together with a renewed sense of a fresh year. I love Calvary’s dedication to the liturgical year.
5. A good book. I’m hoping you can help me out here. I need a good book to read for this season of Advent. I don’t need an Advent devotional (trust me, my bookshelves are full), but I do need a good redemptive story to read. Please suggest anything you might have read! I just finished re-reading This Odd and Wondrous Calling. I think it is the perfect book to read at the beginning of the liturgical year.